Thursday, February 19, 2009

The best deal in Auckland


My Free Haircut

Since it was expensive on the ship, I’d planned in advance to get my haircut in Auckland and had pre selected from an internet search, Mr Barber at 360 Queen St, mostly because I knew the ship docked close to Queen St. It wasn’t difficult to find, but when we got there, we were surprised to to see it was actually a training centre for barbers. We went in anyway and asked how much for a haircut, “No charge” said Vinnie (pictured above), the young guy behind the desk, “We cut for free, you leave a tip if you’re happy”. Free, being one of my favourite words, was all I needed to hear, “I’ll have a haircut” I said. Two minutes later I was in the chair, Mark (pictured below), a likeable guy, was my cutter.

He travelled 2 hours each day to get to the training centre and had been cutting for 3 weeks. After a few words from the supervisor and some discussion on what I’d like done, he grabbed the clippers. I liked him and he did a good job with help from the supervising cutter, I knew that if he screwed anything up, like lopping an ear off, the expert was standing by to fix it up. They were a great bunch and after I was finished Izzy asked Liegh Topham (cutting the hair in pictures below), the lead tutor if they could do her hair. They are only a men’s haircutting service but after some begging and wheedling, Izzy managed to convince him to allow Ferora (2nd left in the right hand picture below), one of the female trainee barbers, to cut her hair. Ferora was originally from Zimbabwe and had been in New Zealand for 6 years, she had her own small salon and was training in men’s haircuts to extend the business to unisex. While waiting, I sat outside having a coffee until I was summoned inside to take some pictures. Liegh had taken over Izzy’s cut and hair was flying all over as he expertly finished off her hair.


We really enjoyed our time at Mr Barber’s, they were a great bunch of guys/gals and we both got an excellent haircut, students take a 12 week course and get a certificate after successful conclusion. I’d recommend their service to anyone, you can view their website at www.mrbarber.co.nz
  • Next Post
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Good Morning
    In the picture of people walking the skytower is that you and Izzy on the left of the picture? Ian, are you being modest and telling us that someone else is falling from the tower. It sure looks like you.. Is Izzy taking the picture?? :-)
    How were you for walking on land after being at sea for so long? Hope the sea calms down a bit for the rest of your trip.
    Ian, you are right when you say you needed a hair cut..don't think I have ever seen you with that long of hair.
    Exciting news here in Canada...President Obama arrived in Ottawa for the day. ( Feb 19th)
    Love Lorraine and Gary